PEDEN B. McLEOD
Attorney Peden B. McLeod, was trained in law at the University of South Carolina School of Law. He spent a decade in the US Army Reserves, served 2 years on the Walterboro City Council, seven years in the South Carolina House of Representatives, and over a decade in the South Carolina Senate.
Areas of Practice:
- Representation of Defendants and Insurance Companies in Accident Cases
- Representation of Plaintiffs in Tort Litigation
- Probate of Estates
- Banking Law
- Civil Litigation in all courts
- General Practice
Law Related Experience:
- Law Clerk to Hon. C.E. Simmons, Jr., U.S. District Judge, Dist of SC, 1967-1969. Commissioner, National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws, 1993- present. (life member)
- Permanent Member, U.S. Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference.
- United States Land & Timber Co.
- Walterboro Motor Sales Co.
- South Carolina Insurance Reserve Fund
- Bonnie Doone Inc.
- Ivanhoe Industries, Inc.
- Union Camp / Plum Creek
- Asheville School
- Wofford College, A.B. History and Government, 1962
- Blue Key, (President, 1961-1962) Kappa Alpha Order (President) Junior Class President
- Senior Class President
- University of South Carolina School of Law, J.D., 1967
- Graduated Third in Class
- Phi Delta Phi (President, I 967) Member, Society of Wig and Robe.
- Member Editorial Board, University of South Carolina Law Review, 1966-1967
- Captain, United States Army Reserves, 1962-1973
- Member, South Carolina Senate, 1979-1990
- Member, South Carolina House of Representatives, 1972-1979
- Member, Walterboro City Council, 1970-1972
- Member, South Carolina House of Representatives, 1972-1979;
- Assistant Majority Leader and Chairman of Appropriative Review Committee (1976-1979).
- Member, 1979-1990 and Chairman, Medical Affairs Committee, I988-1990, South Carolina State Senate;
- Director, South Carolina Legislative Council and Code Commissioner of South Carolina, 1990-1998;
- Medical University of South Carolina Board of Trustees (1998-1990)
Legal Associations and Memberships:
- South Carolina Bar (Member, House of Delegates, 1975-1983)
- Colleton County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Other Associations and Memberships:
- Founder and Chairman of Board of Directors (1989-Present), Bank of Walterboro
- Commander, American Legion Post 93 (1971-1972) District Chairman Boy Scouts of America (1967-1971) Member SC Commission on the Future
- Member Omar and Coastal Shrine Member Scottish Rite of Freemasonry Member Walterboro Elks Lodge Member Unity Lodge #55 AFM
- Outstanding Young Alumnus of the Year, Wofford College
- University of South Carolina Appreciation Award
- American Academy of Family Physicians, SC Chapter Appreciation Award
- USC Salkehatchie Library name Peden McLeod Library
- State Bar of South Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina
- U.S. Supreme Court